Saturday, November 6, 2010

TRC Project

Sometimes I get ideas in my head that I should be shot for having...I thought it would be great fun to make a fact/opinion game with the students.  Fact/opinion is one area that the students struggle with on the state test so why not use some of the technology available and do something fun while reinforcing the concept of fact/opinion?  One of my teaching partners is doing this with me...so her class is involved, too.  We used a template of a gameboard found on the internet using PowerPoint.  The students loved rearranging the boxes, changing the color (shades of gray, no color printer) and adding pictures of animals to their boards.  Each child chose a animal as a theme for the board and for their fact/opinion statement game cards.  We went to copyright friendly web sites for pictures and I created a search engine using Google for them.  The search engine only searched specific sites I selected.  I let each of my students create a game, my teaching partner buddied her kids up.  It was a LOT of work on the students' part and mine.  The games are done, now we need some time to play them.  Was it worth all of the time?  Well, I'll wait to comment until after we play the games and after the state test.  The kids are proud of the games so I'm leaning towards it was worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment